Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Language

Ever heard of how the word 'quiz' came to exist in the English language? Well...as it happens, apparently some chap Richard Daly made a bet with his friend saying how he could introduce a nonsense word into English society within a time span of 48 hours. He was a theater proprietor...so he had his staff write out the word 'quiz' on the walls around the city. He won the bet. He also said that the public would give meaning to the word and they did eventually. I suppose the public then was literally quizzed clueless.

I just discovered that 'word origin' is given the term 'etymology'. I've found many etymologic quizzes...of which i'm not going to try...

Civilizations from different parts of the world came up with thier own languages. If ppl are considered equal or similiar...as in all homo sapiens...why is it that all these languages differ so drastically. Compare English with French and Mandarin...i think the only thing they have in common is the word 'Ma'. I've heard somewhere that the only word or syllable to exist in every language/dialect is 'ma'... I guess babies are quite similiar.

Ah...here's something to believe or not to believe. Supposedly, crows 'speak' different languages when in different countries.

Anyway, i just painted my nails... I think the whole process took about an hour. that includes designing and deciding on the design. I've yet to paint another hand... I don't think it'll take as long. hopefully not.

vain-
1.Excessively proud of one's appearance or accomplishments; conceited. 2.Not yielding the desired outcome; fruitless: a vain attempt.
3.Lacking substance or worth: vain talk.

there's another meaning but its archaic.

*note the 'excessively'...ppl often misuse the word 'vain'

2 comments:

Spilinmy said...

Just wondering.. what is the etymology for the word etymology..

YueN said...

Hi! My nails look great now...! thanks to my ahem...vanity? and of course my artistic ability.(yeah yeah...)
Rite...origin of etymology?
well, in 1398, from Gk. etymologia, from etymon "true sense" (neut. of etymos "true," related to eteos "true") + logos "word." In classical times, of meanings; later, of histories. Latinized by Cicero as veriloquium.
Boring stuff...i just copied it form somewhere =)basically, originates from Greek.