Monday, April 16, 2007

Metaphorically speaking...

You're running... very quickly... so much so that you feel the wind in your face. You wonder briefly if your nose somehow contributes to any aerodynamics (or maybe, it's just me) as you run at top speed. Are you:

1. running away from something/someone?
2. running towards something/someone?

Suddenly, your feet aren't touching the ground anymore. Did you:

1. just fall flat on your face?
2. start flying? (skip next para)

You fell flat on your face. So you pick yourself up. Do you:

1. Look back to see that darned pebble you (of cos) tripped over?
2. Continue running at top speed and hope to fly?

You have taken off like an airplane. You're waaaay high up in the air... Finally, you've taken off! Do you:

1. Look down to see how far up you are?
2. Look up to see how much farther you can go?

You're now so high up... it gets harder to breathe. Do you:

1. Dip back down to that highest comfortable level and enjoy the scenery there?
2. Hang around and wait for your body to acclimatize...it's only a matter of time after all.

You're finally tired of all this flying. You figure this flying business has been over-rated anyway. So you decide that you want to come back down. Are you:

1. Going to fly down at top speed, get on all fours and kiss the earth?
2. Float gently down cos you finally have the time to look at your way up and maybe feel proud of yourself?

And you're back on the ground. Are you:

1. Going to continue running around earth? (back to the 1st para then)
2. starting to wonder what's in the deep depths of the ocean?
3. going to sit back and relax?

The whole thing is a huge metaphor so interpretation is individual.

But i see it in terms of ambition. I don't think i'm an ambitious person. I mean, I'm not. Still, i like flying.

3 comments:

Malicious said...

As a stereotype, I can foresee answers most people would choose at first impression.

Philosophically, I can also foresee the answers they'd pick after some thought.

Personally, I'd stay on the ground unless I have total control over the medium I am going to travel. That's why I don't really like flying overseas!

Anonymous said...

I dream of flying sometimes...and the only thing that makes it exciting...worth dreaming about...is the fact that I know nothing about how its happening.

If I had total control over my medium of flight, then I probably wouldn't bother flying - it would be no more exciting than walking.

YueN said...

Hmmm...
It would depend on what ur interpretation is. If you guys are following the way i see it (which is ambition), not knowing how you're flying would make it sound like the ambition is accidental and was due to luck.

I mean i know some ppl who know exactly what they want and how to get there.

But if you're talking about other things in life then, i guess it's more exciting groping in the dark.

As for me, i want to fly the way superman does (no hands!)...literally speaking.

BTW, walking is exciting... esp when ur in a park of lights